Alfredo is one of my biggest weaknesses. Who doesn't love a rich and creamy sauce one top of a big bowl of pasta? I lightened up the classic sauce to bring you a lighter alfredo pasta. Perfectly paired with shrimp, sausage or chicken.
How many WW points is this now?! Click on the link below and it will take you to the recipe I made within your own WW app. Your specific points will be calculated, and you can track that.
I think this dish is best served with added protein to keep you full and satisfied. You could serve this with my honey butter chicken, to bring in a sweeter flavor, the recipe is found here. Or with my buttery lemon pepper chicken. That would compliment these flavors very well and that recipe can be found here. There are great low point, pre-cooked sausages that would be easy for this. Or, my husbands favorite, spicy grilled shrimp.
Here's What You Will Need
This is a two-pot kind of dish. You will just need a medium sized pot, for the pasta, and a large pan, for the sauce. You can certainly cook the sauce in the pot after the pasta is finished, but I don't wait for that.
Then the ingredients:
- ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- Plain, unsweetened almond milk
- Chicken broth
- Reduced fat, part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- Cooking spray
And that is all you need. How easy is this!
I always keep cream cheese, almond milk, chicken broth and mozzarella cheese in my fridge. These are some of my top essential WW items. I definitely use one of these every single day.
You should have most, if not all, of the seasonings in your cabinet as well. These are pretty simple, nothing too fancy.
- Garlic powder
- Onion powder
- Italian seasonings
- Black pepper
If you want an herby taste too, I highly recommend adding fresh basil and parsley on top. I love those added flavors.
And of course, butter flavored cooking spray adds the best flavoring. Especially in this dish, I love the butter flavor.
Here's What You Will Do
First step is to cook the pasta. Measure out 6 ounces of dry pasta. I always measure dry, it is way easier. Just place a bowl on the scale, zero it out and pour out some pasta until it reaches 6.0 ounces. A little tip is that a box of pasta has 1 pound of pasta, therefore, you will need ⅜ of the box of pasta.
When I open a new box of pasta, I always measure and bag the portions out right then. They are ready to use when I need them. I split them into 6 ounces, 6 ounces and 4 ounces.
Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain well then set the pasta aside.
I start cooking the sauce when the pasta is about halfway cooked.
Let's start on the sauce now. Heat a large pan over medium/high heat, greased with cooking spray. Again, love the butter flavor. Add in the cream cheese and start breaking it up while it melts. When it is about halfway melted, add in the milk and broth. It should look something like this.
After adding the broth and milk in, bring the mixture to a slight simmer and continue melting the cream cheese, stirring occasionally. Add in the seasonings and continue melting the cream cheese until it is completely melted.
Add in the shredded mozzarella and bring the mixture to a low simmer while the cheese melts. Simmer the mixture until desired thickness, about 2-3 minutes.
Once the sauce is done, add the pasta noodles in and toss to coat. For added flavor, top with basil and parsley.
Lighter Alfredo Pasta
- 2 ounces ⅓ less fat cream cheese
- ⅜ cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- ½ cup chicken broth low sodium
- ½ cup reduced fat, part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1 teaspoon oregano
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasonings
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ⅛ teaspoon black pepper
- Cook the pasta according to the package instructions, drain well then set the pasta aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium/high heat, greased with cooking spray. Add in the cream cheese and start breaking it up while it melts.
- When the cream cheese is about half way melted, pour in the milk and broth.
- Bring the mixture to a slight simmer and continue melting the cream cheese, stirring occasionally. Add in the seasonings and continue melting the cream cheese until it is completely melted.
- Add in the shredded mozzarella and bring the mixture to a low simmer while the cheese melts. Simmer the mixture until desired thickness, about 2-3 minutes.
- Once the sauce is done, add the pasta noodles in and toss to coat.
- For added flavor, top with basil and parsley.