There’s nothing like a rich and creamy Mac and cheese dish…. especially if there are some veggies
I like to brown my margarine, as much as margarine can brown, because it gives a really good taste to the mac and cheese sauce
I also use three different cheeses in this recipe, but the parmesan is not necessary. I make it without that cheese all the time. While the parmesan brings a little nice flavor to the dish, it tastes amazing without it too. The other two cheeses are necessary.
Add chicken, ground beef or sausage to bring in some protein!
Spinach Mac and Cheese
- 6 ounces pasta elbow, dry
- 1 tablespoon light margarine ICBINB
- 1/8 cup sweet white onion diced
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1 tablespoon flour
- 2 cups baby spinach packed
- 3/4 cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- 1/2 cup reduced fat, part skim shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 cup reduced fat, 2% milk cheddar cheese
- 1 tablespoon reduced fat parmesan cheese
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/8 teaspoon black pepper
- Cook pasta according to package instructions. Drain well and set aside.
- Heat a large pan over medium/high heat. Add the margarine and allow it to melt. Bring to a slight simmer then add the minced onion and garlic. Allow the garlic and onion to cook in the margarine for about 5 minutes. Do not let the margarine burn but allow it to get a really nice golden brown color
- Stir the flour into the onions. Cook for another 2-3 minutes, until golden. Slowly pour in the milk while stirring constantly.
- Add in all the spinach and stir together until it’s wilted down. Stir in the cheeses and allow it to melt. Add in the pasta and toss to coat.
- Add the seasonings (to taste) and toss to coat