Wishing Taco Tuesday was everyday with my crispy chicken carnitas! They are made in the Instapot which is my favorite thing because all you need to do is dump the ingredients and press go! Your whole house will fill with the smell of these DELICIOUS and IRRESISTIBLE carnitas. The meat is amazing in tacos, on its own or as a rice bowl. Plus it makes great leftovers or a meal prep. Which would you choose! I added cilantro and diced red onions over mine and made a bowl.
How many WW points is this now?! Click on the link below and it will take you to the recipe I made within your own WW app. Your specific points will be calculated, and you can track that.
The pressure cooker I use is, obviously, the Instapot. I will link the one I have below.
I also have the nonstick bowl insert for my Instapot. It makes cooking and clean-up a whole lot easier. I will also link that one below.
A quick hack too: Use a hand mixer to shred the chicken after cooking. Bring all the chicken to a mixing bowl, as to not scratch the instapot, then easily shred the chicken with the hand mixer. I use my Oster hand mixer that has heat soft technology. I love the heat soft for tons of different recipes. I highly recommend this one. I will link that below.
Instapot Crispy Chicken Carnitas
- 2 teaspoons olive oil
- 16 ounces chicken breast two pieces
- ⅛ red onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- ½ cup chicken broth fat-free, low sodium
- ⅛ cup lime juice
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- 2 teaspoons garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- ½ teaspoon oregano
- Dice red onion and set aside
- Add half the oil (one teaspoon) to your Instapot and turn it to the saute setting. When the oil heats up, add the chicken breasts (whole) to the pot and sear both sides for about a minute
- Remove chicken and set aside on a clean plate
- With the Instapot still on the saute setting, add diced red onion and garlic. Saute for one minute
- Turn the Instapot off
- In the instapot, add the remaining ingredients and seasonings and stir together. Add chicken breasts back in to the Instapot with all the ingredients
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the pressure cook button to 20 minutes and start it
- Once completely cooked, vent and de-pressurize the instapot then open the lid. Place the chicken in a bowl with ¼ cup of the sauce from the Instapot. Shred with two forks or the hand mixer
- Add shredded chicken to a greased baking tray with the remaining (one teaspoon) oil. Toss to coat
- Broil on high for 5 minutes, or until desired crispyness
- Return chicken to the sauce from the Instapot and store/serve with the juices