My two favorite meals are combined into one amazing dish! TACO MAC AND CHEESE has every flavor you love, in a rich and creamy dish guaranteed to make the whole family smile. A great way to enjoy mac and cheese while getting in some protein to keep you full.
Be sure to use 99% fat-free ground chicken breast. That is zero points (two on blue).
The salsa con queso brand I used was Tostinos. You can use another but the points might be off
I used Trader Joe’s brand lite shredded Mexican cheese. The best lite shredded Mexican cheese on the market. I go way out of my way to get it.
This recipe calls for yogurt, but you can sub fat-free sour cream as well.
Taco Mac and Cheese
- 6 ounces elbow pasta dry
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- 1/8 cup diced white onion
- 16 ounces ground chicken breast
- 2 teaspoon lime juice
- 1 tablespoon Taco Bell Sauce
- 1/2 cup shredded lite Mexican cheese
- 1/3 cup salsa con queso
- 1/4 cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 pinch oregano
- 1 pinch black pepper
- Cook pasta according to the package directions, drain well and set aside
- Heat a large pan on the stove over medium/high heat. Spray with cooking spray
- Add minced garlic and cook for one minute. Add diced onion and cook until soft and translucent, about 3 minutes
- Add ground chicken, breaking it apart while cooking. Once slightly broken up, season with the seasonings. Cook almost through, until almost all the pink is gone
- Add the lime juice and Taco Bell sauce then stir to combine. Allow chicken to cook completely
- Add in shredded cheese and stir until melted
- Remove from heat and add pasta back in, tossing to combine
- Add in yogurt and salsa con queso and stir everything together