Y’all. This creamy fajita pasta was so good, so filling and so easy to make. This was absolutely jammed packed with veggies and protein. Three different veggies and two different proteins, plus a little bit of carbs. The best easy dinner or meal prep. Creamy and delicious!
I used the original Rotel for this, but you can use any one you like, depending on your spice level. You can also add in some ground red pepper for some more spice but I wanted to keep it more mild.
I loved using Banza for this because it made the dish so filling but you can of course use regular pasta. You can also skip the pasta water to make a more thicker sauce and completely skip the pasta. Just add it to the chicken! So good like this.
Creamy Fajita Pasta
- 4 ounces Banza linguine, dry
- 8 ounces chicken breast skinless, boneless
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon chili powder
- 1/2 teaspoon paprika
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 bell pepper
- 1/4 red onion
- 4 cloves minced garlic
- 1/2 can rotel half a 14.5 oz container
- 1 ounce 1/3 less fat cream cheese
- 1/4 cup shredded lite Mexican cheese Trader's
- 1/2 cup reserved pasta water
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon pepper
- Dice pepper and onion, set aside
- Cook pasta according to package instruction. Reserve 1/2 cup of pasta water then drain well and set aside.
- Heat a medium sized pan over medium/high heat, grease with cooking spray.
- While the pan heats up, season both sides of the chicken breast with the seasonings.
- Add chicken to the pan and sear both sides for about 3 minutes each. Cover the pan and reduce heat to medium. Allow chicken to steam in the pan until fully cooked, about 5 minutes.
- Remove chicken from pan, shred it up and then set aside.
- Without cleaning, spray the pan with more cooking spray, bring back up to medium/high heat.
- Add diced bell pepper and saute while scraping up the bits from the bottom of the pan. Cook for about 2 minutes.
- Then, add the diced onion and minced garlic. Saute for 3-4 more minutes, until translucent and fragrant.
- Add half a can of rotel tomatoes, without the juice. Mix that into the peppers and onion while crushing up the tomatoes. Add in more cumin, salt and pepper to taste.
- Add the cream cheese and reduce to medium/low heat. Stir together while the cream cheese melts.
- Add the shredded cheese and mix to melt the cheese.
- Add in the pasta water, until desired consistency. I use about a 1/4 cup.
- Once the cheese is all melted and desired consistency is reached, add in the cooked, shredded chicken and toss to coat. Add in the cooked pasta and toss to coat.
- Top with cilantro.