I tried Chipotle carnitas a couple weeks ago and I have been CRAVING them ever since. I decided to make my own, in the Instant Pot, and I have to say, I think I really nailed it. Chipotle has some competition. These pork carnitas were perfectly cooked and perfectly seasoned. They shred apart in such a perfect way. Absolutely delicious!!
I made tacos one night with these and then a bowl the next day! I paired it with some corn salsa too for a sweet taste. It was just sweet corn kernels, diced onion and cilantro. Super good!
Here is the meat I used:
You can also broil the meat afterwards. I have done that with my chicken carnitas but I do not think it helped with the pork.
Instant Pot Pork Carnitas
- 1 pound pork shoulder blade steak
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin
- 1/2 teaspoon chili powder
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 cup broth
- 1/4 cup orange juice
- 1/8 cup lime juice
- I used a 1.25 pound pork shoulder and trimmed down the fat so it was about a pound.
- Season both sides of the pork shoulder with the seasonings.
- Add the oil to your Instant Pot and turn it to the saute setting. When the oil heats up, add the pork to the pot and sear both sides for about two minutes.
- Turn the Instapot off.
- In the instapot, add the broth, orange juice and lime juice.
- Cover the pot and secure the lid. Make sure the valve is set to sealing. Set the pressure cook button to 15 minutes and start it. (It will take about 15 minutes per pound to cook).
- Once completely cooked, let it set for 5-7 minutes. Then, vent and de-pressurize the instapot then open the lid.
- Remove the pork and place in a large bowl. Shred with a hand mixer or two forks.
- Store the pork with the liquids for a juicer meat.