This chicken is crusted with crunchy onions, cheese and honey mustard to give it that French fried onion crunch. You only need four ingredients (plus a little salt) and less than a half hour to whip up this delicious chicken. There are no complicated instructions and prep work takes about five minutes!
Customize my crunchy onion chicken to your liking. Pick different cheeses, dressings and spices to change up the flavor.
A classic French onion chicken is quite easy to make. However, sometimes I do not have time for all that prep work. Plus, a hands free dish can be a must sometimes. That is why I love making this French fried onion chicken. A little prep work, and then its hands free cooking!
Why I Love Onion Crusted Chicken
This chicken with an onion crunch has been a staple recipe for me with a newborn. Baby Avery eats right about the same time we eat, which can get a bit complicated.
All you need to do is place the chicken on a pan, top it with some dressing, a bit of crunch onion topping and a sprinkle of cheese. Then, just pop it in the oven until it is done cooking! There is nothing else to do for the chicken in the meantime; therefore, I can get some other tasks done (like feeding a baby!).
I am a huge onion gal; however, my husband is not the biggest fan. This is a great compromise dish because who does not like French fried onions!?
For the crunchy onion chicken, you only need four ingredients, plus a little salt. I usually line my pan with foil as well for an easy cleanup.
It is really up to you how you make this French fried onion chicken; however, there are four staple ingredients.
Crispy Onions - any brand of crispy onions should work very well. In addition, there are different flavors and spiciness levels of French fried onions that you can get.
Honey Mustard / Dressing
Honey Mustard - again, go for any brand of honey mustard that you like. If the mustard is a little too runny, all the toppings may be sliding off of the chicken; therefore, you will want to be careful about that.
However, you can substitute for pretty much any dressing that you prefer or have on hand. A bit of sour cream or mayonnaise can be substituted as well.
For a very flavorful chicken, try piercing the chicken with a fork a few times and marinating the chicken in the dressing for 30 minutes to eight hours.
Chicken - typically, I would use chicken cutlets as they are the perfect single serving piece. Here I used chicken breasts as I had some in the freezer; however, use really any cut of chicken. Chicken tenderloins are great for kids as they are smaller; however, just be mindful of cooking times and use a thermometer.
Shredded Cheese - combine the cheese with the onions to create the topping. I use this cheddar jack cheese many times; however, regular cheddar or other cheeses are great. If you want to make this a little spicy, use a spicier cheese such as pepper jack.
Seasoned Salt - I just sprinkle my chicken with a little seasoned salt before adding anything else. All the toppings really add a bunch of flavor; therefore, not too much seasoning is needed. If you are wanting to make this spicy, add some ground red pepper.
How to Make Onion Crusted Chicken
Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Spray a baking sheet with cooking spray. However, I do use foil for an easy cleanup.
Season - Pat chicken dry and season both sides with the seasoned salt. But, you can add any seasonings of your choice. Place chicken on the baking sheet.
Dressing - Brush on the honey mustard, evenly along the entire top of the chicken.
Topping - Place French fried onions in a baggie and crush up. They should more resemble breadcrumbs, or as small as desired. Add shredded cheese into the baggie and mix together.
Evenly press the onion and cheese mixture onto the top of the chicken.
Place the chicken in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until fully cooked. Use a meat thermometer to ensure proper temperature is reached. Do not flip chicken.
I store my crunchy onion chicken in the fridge, in an air tight container, for up to four days. This recipe makes for great leftovers as well.
What to Serve with Crunchy Onion Chicken
Typically, I serve my chicken with white rice; however, pasta works well too.
Tips for the Best Chicken Crunch Recipe
- Pat chicken dry to avoid the toppings rolling off.
- Use a honey mustard that is not too liquid-y, to avoid the toppings rolling off.
- Crush up the onions a bit to allow them to stay on the chicken.
- Use a meat thermometer to not over cook or under cook the chicken.
More Easy Chicken Recipes
If you love this recipe, then, try some more of my easy chicken recipes.
- Instant Pot Hawaiian Chicken
- Crock Pot Shredded Taco Chicken
- Greek Yogurt Buffalo Chicken Dip
- Honey Soy Chicken Tenderloins
Don't forget to give a five star rating!
Crunchy Onion Chicken
This chicken is crusted with crunchy onions, cheese and honey mustard to give it that French fried onion crunch.
Crunchy Onion Chicken
- 1 chicken cutlet 4 ounces each
- 2 tablespoons honey mustard G Hughes
- 2 tablespoons shredded cheese cheddar
- 2 tablespoons crispy onions
- ½ teaspoon seasoned salt
- Preheat the oven to 425 degrees. Line a baking sheet with foil, if desired, and spray with cooking spray.
- Pat chicken dry and season both sides with the seasoned salt. Place chicken on the baking sheet.
- Brush on the honey mustard, evenly along the entire top of the chicken.
- Place French fried onions in a baggie and crush up. They should more resemble breadcrumbs, or as small as desired. Add shredded cheese into the baggie and mix together.
- Evenly press the onion and cheese mixture onto the top of the chicken.
- Place the chicken in the oven and bake for about 10 minutes, or until fully cooked. Use a meat thermometer to ensure proper temperature is reached. Do not flip chicken.
Click here to automatically calculate your Weight Watcher points. It is currently 5 points for me; however, if you only use 1.5 tablespoons of onions, that is only 1 point, instead of 2. In addition, you can opt for fat-free or reduced fat cheese.