I couldn't believe I made these amazing mashed potatoes without tons of butter, tons of cream or tons of milk. These lighter mashed potatoes are so creamy and delicious, you won't even realize they are made with yogurt!!! My husband loved them and was so shocked when I told him the secret ingredient.
I bake my potatoes to make mashed potatoes because I do not like skin in my mashed potatoes but the skin is my favorite part of the potato. Makes complete sense right!! So I bake them and then remove the skin and save them for another meal and then I mash the insides. You can do this or you can boil the potatoes, which is what most people do, but I am not most people.
Check out my recipe blog post, there is a link to my recipe within the WW app and it will calculate the points for you!
You need to pair this with my lightened up gravy recipe!!
Lighter Mashed Potatoes
- 2 russet potatoes medium
- 1 tablespoon light margarine ICBINB
- 2 cloves minced garlic
- ⅛ cup plain, unsweetened almond milk
- ¼ cup plain, nonfat Greek yogurt
- ½ teaspoon garlic powder
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees. Clean, then fork the potatoes a few times, carefully. Wrap them in a damp paper towel and microwave, on a microwave safe dish, for 5 minutes. This will allow for a quicker cook time in the oven.
- Place potatoes on a baking tray and cook for 45 minutes, flipping halfway, or until fully cooked and soft.
- Once finished, remove the skin from the potatoes.
- Melt margarine in a small saucepan over medium heat. Add in the minced garlic and seasonings. Add in the potato and use a potato masher to completely mash up the potato.
- Add in the milk and yogurt and toss to combine.